Association of American Publishers Announces Winners of Golden Lamp Awards
Gala celebrated people and products dedicated to improving teaching and learning
Philadelphia, PA; June 9, 2017 – Winners of the Golden Lamp Awards, which are the top educational resources of the year, were announced by the Association of American Publishers (AAP) PreK-12 Learning Group during the inaugural AAP Celebrates dinner. The Golden Lamp winners represent the best of the best from the Learning Group’s REVERE Awards, an annual program that evaluates effective and engaging resources for teaching and learning in any media.
“Winning a Golden Lamp award – or even becoming a finalist – is no easy feat,” said Jay Diskey, Executive Director of the AAP PreK-12 Learning Group. “Each of our winners was evaluated by educators and industry professionals against a variety of criteria including creativity, usability, and effectiveness. The 2017 winners epitomize the excellence in the prek-12 publishing community and our mission to help every child and teacher succeed.”
The 2017 Golden Lamp winners are:
- Beyond the Classroom - Ology, the American Museum of Natural History
- Magazines - Teaching Tolerance, Southern Poverty Law Center
- Professional Resources - Analyzing and Writing with Primary Sources, Shell Education
- Supplemental Resources - Number Talks: Fractions, Decimals, and Percentages, Math Solutions
- Whole Curriculum – McGraw-Hill networks, McGraw-Hill Education
The judges also gave out a special award to Fostering Resilient Learners: Strategies for Creating a Trauma-Sensitive Classroom, written by Kristin Souers with Pete Hall and published by ASCD. This judges’ award was presented because of the depth of the material and its goal of assisting an underserved population in our schools.
In addition, AAP Celebrates also highlighted recipients of the 2017 Lamplighter Honors. The Lamplighter Honors recognize individuals who have had an extraordinary impact on the learning resource industry through their leadership and vision.
2017 Lamplighter Honors recipients:
- Visionary Award – Deborah Quazzo, Founder and Managing Partner, GSV Acceleration Fund
- Hall of Fame – Bob Coughlan, Co-Owner and Principal, Coughlan Companies
- Hall of Fame – Hugh Roome, Executive Vice President and President of Consumer and Professional Publishing, Scholastic Inc.
Learn more about the Golden Lamp winners at publishers.org/2017-golden-lamp-winners. Read about the 2017 Lamplighter Honors at publishers.org/honorees.
The Association of American Publishers (AAP) represents nearly four hundred member organizations including major commercial, digital learning, education and professional publishers alongside independents, non-profits, university presses and scholarly societies. We represent the publishing industry’s legislative, regulatory, and trade priorities regionally, nationally and worldwide. These include copyright and related intellectual property rights, piracy and enforcement strategies, digital growth and related business models, funding for education and libraries, fair tax and trade policies, and freedom of expression and literacy debates